Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bits and Druthers

My husband and I went to London for our Honeymoon last November, so it stands to reason that we ate fish and chips more than once. In fact, I finally became totally sick of them. When we came home, I was off the fried food for a while. But recently, an impromptu trip to a little food court on the east side of Austin brought us to Bits and Druthers. Now, it was 106 degrees that day, so we were the only people stupid enough to be outside at the time. It made the 8 minute wait seem like an eternity. But when I did hear my name called, I was pleasantly surprised.

For a little over $5 you can get a small fish and chips, wrapped in a lovely piece of paper with the log stamped on it. You have a choice of vinegar or tarter sauce. I know vinegar is traditional, but trust me, go with the tarter sauce. I am not sure if it is homemade, but it is delicious and that is all that matters. The fish was perfectly crisp and the inside was a beautifully cooked white, flaky fish.  The chips were chips, but better than some, and warranted sitting in sweltering temperatures to eat them, so I would say definitely above average.

My bold statement is going to be, I liked Bits and Druthers fish and chips better than anything I got in London. Seriously, these guys put love into that food.  So if you are craving the English staple or you just want some good ol' fried fish, I highly recommend this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment